In case you haven’t noticed or happen to be in hibernation from the Clippers, the coaching carousel is starting to turn a bit. We’re not quite at defcon level Ramon Sessions yet, but things seem to be slowly heating up around the league. Let’s take a look at the latest names to be floated around.
- The estimable Steve Perrin over at ClipsNation breaks down the coaching situation and makes some sense out of locking up a coach sooner rather than later. The LeBron James fantasy is fun, but passing up dates with attractive candidates in hopes that the supermodel has your phone number isn’t the smartest strategy.
- A couple of “new” candidates have emerged for a few head coaching jobs. First, Kentucky head coach John Calipari is rumored to have serious interest in Chicago. It’s hard not to imagine Worldwide Wes having something to do with that. Monty Williams’ name is being thrown around as a top candidate in New Orleans.
- Philadelphia isn’t being exactly shy about bringing in people to interview for their opening. They’ve already interviewed Avery Johnson and Doug Collins,but they won’t be interviewing Mark Jackson anytime soon for that opening. Instead, he’ll be auditioning for the spot in New Orleans. The Hornets have been pretty active in their search as well.
- It’s impossible not to be impressed with what the Jazz have done in the playoffs so far. If you want to cherry pick another team’s assistant, you could do far worse than someone who has worked under Jerry Sloan.
- As for the Clippers? Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey will almost certainly interview in the near future. The Clippers have also requested to interview with Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau.